WORKSHOPS AND SPECIAL INTEREST GROUPS
Call for Proposals: Oct. 3-Nov. 14, 2018
Proposal Review and Selection: Nov. 16, 2018-Jan. 10, 2019
Notification sent by email: Jan. 16, 2019
Includes a combination of didactic presentations, interactive discussions and hands-on techniques depending on the topic presented. Some workshops address practical topics of concern for trainees and junior scholars, while others focus on issues relevant to the senior practitioner, investigator or academic leader. Length: 2-3 hours. Sessions are small and seating is on a first-come, first served basis. Pre-enrollment is not required.
Special Interest Groups (SIG)
SIGs are informal sessions sponsored by the Academic Pediatric Association and are organized around specific areas of interest to academic and community pediatricians. Each session is planned by the SIG Chair and in format from informal discussions to guest speakers to research presentations. Length: 2-3 hours. Sessions are small and seating is on a first-come, first served basis.
Core Curriculum Series (Three 90 – 120 minute sessions will be presented in each of 3 tracks)
A comprehensive core curriculum for fellows that address areas of academic development identified in the guidelines summarized in the American Board of Pediatrics Guidelines for Fellowship Training. Workshops focus on skill and knowledge acquisition that are appropriate for individuals at the fellowship level of training and provide a foundation for those who may not have had exposure to some required topics, as well as those who wish to pursue a topic in greater depth in the future. It is intended that these themes will repeat each year so individual curriculum’s can be created to complement education provided by local fellowship training programs. Certificates of completion will be distributed to participants in attendance who have signed in and provided their email address.
Exception: Fee required for Core Curriculum Fellows’ Series
Call for Abstracts: Nov. 1, 2018 to Jan. 2, 2019
Proposal Review and Selection: Jan. 3-Feb. 5, 2019
Notification sent by email: Feb. 15, 2019
Presentation formats (platform, poster or poster symposium) are determined in February by the PAS Program Committee.
- Platform sessions are two hours in length. Presentations are 15-minutes (10 minute/presentation; 5 minute/discussion).
- Poster symposium sessions are two hours in length and consist of a poster viewing period followed by a formal presentation or discussion period. Session moderators determine the presentation or discussion format for poster symposium sessions.
- Poster sessions are two-three hours in length and consist of a general viewing and author attendance period. Detailed instructions for the preparation of slides and posters, as well as scheduling notices, will be provided to the contact author with the presentation notification in February. The complete schedule of all abstract presentations will be finalized by February.
- Character count is 2600 – includes spaces and title; excludes author’s name, institution and upload of tables and images. The PAS Program and Events Center will not allow submission if you exceed the maximum number of characters.
- $75.00 per abstract for submissions payable by credit card ONLY.
Sponsorship is NOT required to submit an abstract.
- There is no limit on the number of abstracts submitted by each author, but the submission of multiple, similar abstracts from the same investigator(s) or laboratory is strongly discouraged.
- Abstracts submitted and/or presented at other societies or national meetings are allowed.
- Conflict of Interest/ Disclosure: Completed by presenting author (on the submission site).
- Work submitted for presentation must include an acknowledgment of funding sources of commercial nature and/or consulting or holding of significant equity in a company that could be affected by the results of the study. Even if indicated elsewhere in the abstract, this must appear as the last sentence of the abstract and read “funded by…” and/or “equity in…” if pertinent. (See Step 5 – Disclosure Info.)
- Submitting author verifies upon submission, that All Authors have agreed to the submission of the abstract.
- If the abstract is selected, the presentation must include the methods used for study and any other information relevant to research.
- Reviewer scores and comments are confidential and are not available to anyone (including authors) outside of the review process.
- The decision of the Program Committee to accept or decline an abstract is final. The decision on which format the abstract will be presented is also the decision of the Program Committee.
How to Submit an Abstract
Below is the step-by-step process you will go through when submitting an abstract. To save time, gather all the information you need before you begin.
Step 1 - Submission
- “Create New Submission”
- Select “Abstract Submitter” and click “Continue”
- Confirm your Selection by clicking “Continue with this Type”
Step 2 - Title/Body
- Enter Title
- Enter text using upper and lowercase as it should be published. Only use additional capital letters as appropriate. Do not type your title in all caps.
- Enter Background; Objective (if applicable), Design/Methods; Results; Conclusion
- Research published in manuscript form prior to the submission of the abstract is not appropriate and should not be submitted.
- If data contained in the abstract is published after submission of the abstract, the PAS Program Office must be notified immediately for determination concerning presentation.
- Abstracts should not be submitted if there is knowledge and confirmation of an upcoming publication prior to the annual meeting or submission deadline.
- Content Type – check all that apply
- APA SIG, Committee or Region – If your abstract is not selected for presentation, would you want it considered for an APA SIG, Committee or Region. Select one.
- Tables – Create Table – note that the table will look different in all formats (abstract proof, pdf, online).
- Images – select image first, then click on “upload image”. PNG and JPEG file formats work best.
- Click “Save & Continue”
Step 3 - Properties
- Role Type* – Select Abstract
- Category* – Select One
- Keywords – Select Up to Three Keywords
- You will be asked to enter up to three (3) keywords in order of importance. You do not have to fill all 3 fields.
- Select “apply” to be considered for an award and complete the drop down application form.
- See “Awards Consideration and Selection” section below for additional information.
- Upload the required supplemental materials.
- Click “Save & Continue” once all questions are answered.
Step 4 - Authors
- The name of the person submitting the proposal will be automatically loaded as the first Author . Click “Remove” this name if incorrect.
- Click “+Add Author” and enter either First Name, Last Name, or Email Address, then click “Search”.
- If that person is in the database, their name will be pulled up. Click “+Add” on the left side of the name.
- If the correct name does not appear, click “Create an Author” and enter all required information. Click “Submit Created Author”.
- For each Author, select “Affiliation” (with Institution) from the drop-down menu.
- If the correct Institution name does not appear, select “Create New Institution” and complete the required fields (denoted with a *) and click “Submit Created Institution”.
- Click the circle (radio button) under the “Presenter” heading in order for the Author to be uploaded as a Presenter.
- To add more Authors, click “Add Author” and repeat the steps until all authors have been listed.
- Sabbath Conflict
- Select what days (if any) there might be a Sabbath conflict for the abstract presentation.
- Trainee Type
- If the first author is a trainee, select from the choices listed.
- Click “Save & Continue” once all questions are answered.
Step 5 - Review & Submit
Review & Submit
- Review all the information provided and make edits as needed. Click “Complete Payment”.
Step 6 - Abstract Payment
Abstract Payment – $75/abstract
- Enter all credit card payment information on the “2018 Meeting Abstracts” site. Once complete, click “Pay Now”. Payment is made via PayPal.
Notification of Receipt and Acceptance
- Notification of receipt will be automatically emailed to the contact author upon submission of the abstract.
- Notification of Abstract Decision (accept/reject) status will be emailed to the contact author listed on the abstract on February 15, 2019.
Award Consideration and Selection
Information regarding the awards for 2019, their eligibility criteria, and the award process can be found on the Awards page. Only abstracts accepted for presentation are considered for awards.
Steps to apply for an award:
- Submitting an abstract electronically, as detailed above.
- Complete the Award Application Form online for the respective award.
- Upload all required supplemental materials (as indicated in the award information and on the Application Form).
PAS Travel Grants – PAS will award travel grants for $500 plus complimentary meeting registration to attend the PAS 2019 Meeting.
- Travel grants are possible for runners-up among the SPR Fellow Basic and Clinical Research Award categories.
- To be considered for a travel award, check the appropriate box in the “Awards” part of the submission program and in the online award application form. *Candidates must be the first and presenting author.
- Please note: This program is only for those abstracts submitted to the PAS 2019 Meeting. Notification of acceptance occurs in early March 2019.
While you are welcome to apply for more than one award, an online Award Application Form is required for EACH award for which you have indicated an interest (by clicking the button on the “Award” page).
PAS has arranged with Learners Digest International to provide poster authors with the opportunity to create their poster entirely online by using the Call4Posters® service. This optional service allows authors to have their poster shipped directly to the meeting for on-site pick-up! Further details will be included in the abstract acceptance information.
Publication of Abstracts
ALL abstracts, if accepted for presentation, will be on-line.
Browser Compatibility: Since some computer/browser combinations do not support display of the full variety of special characters often needed for abstract submission, you may find it necessary to use a different browser or computer. The abstract submission form requires a minimum (or higher) Web browser of Microsoft Internet Explorer 8.0, Mozilla Firefox 3.6, Apple Safari 4, Google Chrome 10, or any other Web browser that is fully compatible with these browsers.
Citation of Abstracts
Abstracts are published in electronic format only. For purposes of citation, please use E-PAS2019:Publication number.
- 2019 example citation: E-PAS2019:5555.543
Call for Proposals: Aug. 7-Oct. 2, 2018
Proposal Review and Selection: Oct. 3-Nov. 8, 2018
Notification sent by email: Nov. 9, 2018
Call for Late Ancillary Events: Jan. 15-March 1, 2019
Submit a request at the PAS Program and Events Center.
Functions held adjunct to the PAS Meeting and coordinated by a group other than PAS is considered an ancillary event. Educational and scientific programming, organized outside of PAS yet directed at the same audience, may not be offered over the official dates of the PAS Annual Meeting within 100 miles of the PAS meeting location.
Event types include:
- Alumni Event
- Business Meeting
- Committee (includes Council and Society meetings)
PAS charges a one-time $350.00 administration fee for all ancillary events. This excludes PAS Partner and Alliance Organizations business meetings, committee meetings or special sessions.
Rules & Guidelines
Pre-conference Space Availability
- Wednesday – Limited space available for hotel hosted events. Request accepted upon availability.
- Thursday – Limited space available for hotel hosted events. Request accepted upon availability.
- Friday – Limited space available for convention center and hotel events. Request accepted upon availability.
Post-conference Space Availability
- Tuesday – Limited space available from 2:45pm – 5:45pm
- Wednesday – Limited space available from 8:00am – 12Noon
Black Out Dates/Times
Organizations may not hold functions during the PAS scientific program schedule. These times include:
- Saturday, 8am-6:30pm
- Sunday, 8am-11:45am and 1pm-6:30pm
- Monday, 8am-11:45am and 1pm-6:30pm
- Tuesday, 8am-11:45am and 1pm-6:30pm
Key Planning Timeline – Ancillary Event
|August 7||Call Opens for all Ancillary Events|
|October 2||Call Closes for all Ancillary Events|
|November 9||Ancillary Event Notifications Emailed. This will include hotel assignment, day/time of the event and contact information for A/V and catering needs.|
|January 15||Call Opens for Late Ancillary Events|
|March 1||All Ancillary Events requests close.|
|TBD||Ancillary Event Notifications Emailed. This will include hotel assignment, day/time of the event and contact information for A/V and catering needs.|
|TBD||Catering and AV orders due, and administrative fees due to prevent event cancellation.|
Ancillary Event Locations
- All activities are restricted to the official PAS hotels or the Convention Center, assigned at the discretion of PAS. Please note, per hotel policy, no outside food and beverages are allowed in any meeting function.
- Space is assigned upon submission of your event to the PAS Program and Events Center.
- PAS accepts no financial or organizational responsibility for ancillary or exhibitor education events. Room rental, catering, A/V equipment, labor and other charges are the sole responsibility of the organizer. (PAS and the co-headquarter hotels have the right to move an event if PAS or the hotels determine the space assigned is needed for an official function or is not best suited to the event).
- Space cancellations must be received by February 24, 2019.
- Cancellations received on or before February 24, 2019, will be removed from publication announcements.
Note: Your assigned contact person is responsible for informing your event attendees of the cancellation.
- A full refund for the administrative fee will be given to cancellations received on or before February 24, 2019.
- Additional promotions or notifications will be your responsibility. Marketing pieces, advertisements, invitations, etc. may not use the PAS logo or name—inferring or implying that the event was endorsed by PAS.
- Bulletin boards are available at the Convention Center to publicize meetings and gatherings; notices are limited to a size of 8.5” x 11”.
- Distribution of invitations, tickets, etc., promoting an ancillary event is strictly prohibited in all other public spaces of the event venue, convention center or other hotels.
- One (1) sign may be placed at the door, but only during the scheduled time of the session. Signage at the door may not exceed 24” x 36”. Marketing guidelines apply.
- Additional signs are not permitted. Signage scattered throughout the hotels or convention center is not permitted and will be removed.
PAS Program Office
9303 New Trails Drive, Suite 350
The Woodlands, TX 77381
American Pediatric Society
Society for Pediatric Research
- SPR Fellows’ Basic Research Awards, including:
- SPR Fellows’ Clinical Research Award, including:
- SPR House Officer Research Award
- SPR Student Research Award
- Young Investigator Award*
- E. Mead Johnson Award for Research in Pediatrics*
- Maureen Andrew Mentor Award*
- Douglas K. Richardson Award for Perinatal and Pediatric Healthcare Research*
- Thomas A. Hazinski Distinguished Service Award*
American Pediatric Society / Society for Pediatric Research Joint Award
American Academy of Pediatrics
- AAP William A. Silverman Lecture*
American Society of Pediatric Nephrology
- Henry L. Barnett Award (ASPN and AAP Section on Nephrology)*
- ASPN Founder’s Award*
- ASPN Trainee Research Award
- ASPN Fellow Research Presentation Award
- ASPN Resident Travel
Academic Pediatric Association
- APA Fellow’s Research Award
- APA George Armstrong Lecture*
- APA Health Care Delivery Award*
- APA Global Health Research Award*
- APA Ludwig-Seidel Award
- APA Michael Shannon Research Award
- APA Miller-Sarkin Mentoring Award*
- APA Public Policy & Advocacy Award*
- APA Outstanding Teaching Award*
- APA Ray E. Helfer Award for Innovation in Pediatric Education*
- APA Resident Research Award
- APA Research Award*
- APA Student Research Award
- APA Teaching Award for Faculty
Federation of Pediatric Organizations
March of Dimes
PAS Travel Grants
- PAS Travel Grant Program